Thursday, November 7, 2013

Tauriel Cosplay - Dress Partly Completed

Hullo all my lovely friends!

I have been quite busy as of late. But I better start from the beginning...

So, first of all, I have successfully altered the color of the leather bodice! It is now a gorgeous and pretty much perfect color, darker than the original. How did I achieve this, you might ask?

My secret weapon: black shoe polish. Shhhh... don't tell anyone... ;D But hey, it turned out great! I think it has faded some by now, as I did it almost a week ago... but I could be wrong. If it has indeed faded, that's easily fixed; I'll just touch it up a couple days before the premiere -- which is, by the way, only THIRTY FIVE DAYS AWAY!!! :D :D :D

(And also btw, has anyone checked out my snazzy little countdown over here? <<< :D)

Top right... that was my hair during this process. Like the pencil? xD
Next... do you recall the fabric I mentioned in my previous Tauriel cosplay update? That I didn't think was quite the right color? Well, after much improving the color of the bodice, (which btw now matches my boots almost perfectly!) I decided this fabric doesn't look nearly as bad against it. So, I decided to go ahead and make the dress with this fabric! So far it has turned out lovely -- but you can judge for yourself of course. ;)

Of course I couldn't be wearing it for the picture! Saving that for when it's finished... not to say I haven't tried it on yet of course! ;)
Like I said, the color isn't exactly perfect, but I still think it's very "Mirkwood," and it compliments the bodice color really well.

So, that's how it's going so far!! I'm so excited for you guys to see it all completed... but that's still a little ways to go. I need to hem the skirt, sew it to the bodice, alter the sleeves (they're too big. :p), and then put a zipper in the back. And I still need to make those alterations to the leather bodice... but anyway, I'll save that for another day. ;)

9 comments:

  1. You're doing a Tauriel cosplay?!?! This is awesome!! I love your pictures!! Can't wait to see the finished costume!!

    Man, now I wish my skills at the sewing machine were that good. *hangs head in shame* I really need to practice more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha! Thanks so much! ;D Lol, awuh don't feel bad. ;) I say the exact same thing about writing..! I wish I could write, and I really should do it more. ;)

      Delete
  2. This is awesome! I'm starting a Tauriel costume for the premiere as well. It helps a lot to see how other people are doing it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I'm excited for you. It's a really fun costume. :D That is actually the reason I started this blog -- I wanted to see how other people were doing Tauriel's costume, so I figured someone might want to see how I was doing it! ;)

      Delete
  3. It's looking really good! Can't wait to see what it looks like finished! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your costume looks PERFECT so far. :) Could you possibly post a picture of you wearing the bodice from the back view? I am unable to find pictures of how the back is cut. Thank you! :)

      Delete
    2. Awh thanks! (: Yes, I can most definitely do that! You mean the leather bodice, right? If so, basically right now the back is just two one-piece sections, which will have grommets and lacing to connect them. I've been debating whether to cut the pieces and make them two-paneled, though.

      Delete