Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Tauriel Cosplay - Leather Bodice Mock-Up

Tadaaa!! Let me just say, this mock-up turned out 100% better than the dress mock-up I did a couple days ago - this is, of course, due to the fact that I spent a whole lot more time on this one, but regardless, here it is. :D (click image for larger view)


I'm seriously getting really excited about this costume. If all goes as planned, I think this thing is gonna turn out pretty epic... :D But anyway, back to the mock-up!

So, this bodice/armor/whatever-you-want-to-call-it took me about 2 days to complete (obviously I didn't spend all my time working on it, but you get the idea). As I'm currently on vacation and don't have a sewing machine, it's only pinned. Hopefully when I'm back home I'll get around to sewing it... but no promises. ;)

As you can probably tell, it's made of denim, as I figured this would mimic the leather that I will be using for the real bodice better than the thinner fabric I had on hand.

The front is made of 8 separate panels, 4 on each side. The two in the front form princess seams. As a side note, I seriously adore the shape of this... it really is very flattering. No wonder Tauriel wanted to wear it. ;)

Anyway... For the real version, I'll put a corset in the back. I've got a fairly good amount of experience with grommets, as I had to put in alot for an Arwen (fromr Lord of the Rings) dress I made last year... (maybe one day I'll take the time to upload my journal entries for that adventure. Buuuuut not today... ;) I'm not really looking forward to getting acquainted with grommets again, but they look so awesome that it'll definitely be worth it. ;)

Another thing that I'm leaving for when I make the real version is the two little extra panels at the top of the neckline. Not even sure if I'll end up adding those, but we shall see. :)

4 comments:

  1. On which pattern did you base this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so sorry for not replying earlier!! I didin't see your comment. :p

      I actually didn't use a pattern, I just free-handed it with trial and error. I used a fitted shirt I had as a guide for size.

      Sorry I couldn't have been of more help! :)

      Delete
  2. Okay, so basically I'm a senior in highschool, homeschooled, Christian, obsessed with LOTR/The Hobbit, and Doctor Who, I love sewing, riding horses, and I used to takek piano and hope to begin again soon. This is crazy. xD (P.S. your ideas for Tauriel's costume are fantastic!!) -- Emily :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly -- I absolutely FAIL at replying to comments promptly. Secondly: AHHHH my goodness this is too awesome!!! :D :D XD It is so neat to "meet" you, kindred spirit! ;) Okay, I must ask -- who's "your" doctor?? ;D

      Delete